Asian Vegan Cooking Online
For this plant-based cooking workshop, we will be utilising recipes from a number of different Asian cultures, with a focus on cooking traditions created to support a plant-based diet. Whether from the Sattvic vitality increasing diet of India or Buddhist temple foods from Korean and Japan, we will be showing you both nutritious and tasty dishes from a variety of cultures that have been creating plant-based foods for centuries. Vegan food doesn’t have to be the drab, flavourless, meat imitating concoctions we are used to seeing in pop culture and the mainstream. Looking to cultures with a rich history in plant-based cooking, we have crafted this cooking class with a coexisting balance between taste and what is healthy for the body, mind and planet.
The course will run instructions through 20 recipes. We will discuss how to plan plant-based meals at home and the overriding philosophies, both nutritional and mindful, underpinning Asian traditions of vegan cooking. We will also be showing you how to organise you and stock your kitchen, to make crafting excellent plant-based meals an easy and enjoyable experience. This class is suitable for people who want to enhance their home cooking skills with new techniques or for professional or aspiring chefs who are looking to enhance their plant-based repertoire. Given the intensity of this course, it would be limited to a small number of guests per online session.
- Fundamental and traditional cooking skills used for the production of alternative proteins, including soy milk, tofu, and seitan.
- How to meal plan and create delicious and nutrient-dense plant-based meals
- How to shop for and source nutritional and ecologically friendly products
- How to eat and shop seasonally
- Techniques and skills for unlocking ingredients’ natural flavourful essence
- An enjoyable cooking, eating and social experience
- Intro into Asian vegan cuisines, the origins of Buddhist cooking.
- How to stock and shop for a plant-based lifestyle.
- Seasonings and flavours, building a pantry with delicious ingredients.
- Eating with the seasons
- Special cooking techniques
KOREAN - SACHAEL EUMSK
- Yeonnik-bap - Sticky Rice Wrapped in Lotus Leaf
- Saeng-Baechu-Doenjang-Guk - Soup with Bean Paste and Wombok
- Oi-Baek-Kimchi- White Cucumber Kimchi
- Danhobak-Bokkeum- Stir-Fried Kabocha Pumpkin and Broccolini
- Mul-Naeng Myeon- Cold Buckwheat Noodles with Broth
JAPANESE - SHOUJIN RYORI
- Ingen/Horensou Goma Ae- Green Beans or Spinach in Sesame Sauce
- Kenchin-Jiru- Root Vegetable, Miso Stew
- Chirashi Sushi- Colourful Sushi Rice
- Nasu-Miso Itame- Eggplant Stir-fried with Miso
INDIAN COOKING- SATTVIC
- Kachumber- Cucumber and Sprout Salad
- Kitchari- Mungbean and Rice Porridge
- Palak Paneer- Spinach Curry with Tofu
- Aloo Gobi - Potato-Cauliflower Curry
- Turmeric and Mango “Lassi”
VIETNAMESE - AN CHAY
- Nước chấm - Sweet and Sour Dipping Sauce
- Bánh Ít Trần – Steamed Rice and Mungbean Dumplings
- Gỏi Cuốn- Rice Paper Rolls with Seasonal Vegetables
- Bánh Cuốn- Fresh Rice Crepe Rolls with Tofu
- Đậu Phụ Sốt Cà Chua – Tofu In Tomato Sauce with Herbs
- Phở Chay - Vegan Pho with Tofu and Mushroom Broth
HOW WE RUN THE COURSE
- Move at your own pace! Sign on to our course at any time. We will manually sign you up for you to log in our Home Cooking Live platform. From here you access videos, class notes and recipes.
- We run a Zoom class on 4 Sundays (3 times per year) at 6.30 pm for 1.5-2 hours. You can watch the class either on Zoom or Facebook. Here you can ask any questions with food-coaching, Q&A and extra tutoring.
- Please log on to the platform, read the recipes, watch the videos, get all food equipment together so you can cook. Let us know if you have dietary